Monday, November 30, 2009

Totally Random Again

1) I've read (or re-read) three books that I will proudly push on all and sundry. Anne of Green Gables which I estimate I've read at least 20 times in my life. A true classic which does seem dated in some ways but still honest about what it's like to be a girl growing up in a world that she doesn't quite fall in step with. I love how Anne grows in confidence as the novel progresses and how she subtly thaws the love-starved heart of her adopted family just as they feed hers. I also re-read Pride and Prejudice which never ceases to amuse me. Austen's wit and way of depicting the foibles of the Bennets as they try to find love and marriage in a world that primarily views the state of marriage as one equivalent with financial worth... It's just got no equal. And, finally, I read a modern novel that I'm itching to buy but resisting (just barely) called The Magicians. Anyone who loved Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia and LOTR would adore this. It's absolutely enchanting despite (because of?) its modern spin on a magical world. Lev Grossman's young characters study, grow, and fall in love in a real world-one replete with sex, drugs and all the downsides of being privileged and powerful with almost no restraints. After all, what restraints could there be for the brilliant and magically educated?
2) Lots of knitting but it doesn't look like to the untrained eye. Hopefully, the three things I'm trying to finish for the holidays will be done soon.
3) Mmm...macaroni and cheese.
4) Thanksgiving was interesting. I had fun talking to my brother-in-law's grandma who has reached the age where she no longer gives a shit who hears what she says and has a biting abandon with which she offers her opinions on everything. Also had a brief conversation about marriage and babies with Emma. She was fine with the idea of unmarried women having babies as long as she gets a vote on the names of the future babies and as long as the women would prefer girls to boys. Emma is also learning sign language at school and kept trying to teach us all what may or may not be the correct signs for things like sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, etc. Alex's version of sign language? Waving his arms over his head in what most closely resembled headbanging to Metallica.
5) The whole mess at work (which is too much for anything but a post of its own or a real, live conversation) is resolving itself. My status change takes place tomorrow but I have no idea how long it will be before they get someone in to take over my old job let alone how long it will take to train him or her. I'm thinking it will be at least after the first of the year.
6) I'm utterly stressed out, though, from the work situation and a few other things (more real, live conversation topics) and I'm getting the hell out of town to visit Stina and her hubby, Tor, in Kentucky over the weekend and the first part of next week. Here's to a change of scene and, if I'm lucky, a few days of sleeping past six! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment