Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 42

I finally finished reading Julie & Julia! This was a slog, most of the time. I did NOT care for the narrator and really don't think I'd like her if I ever met her. She definitely lacked heart. But, there were some passages that really resonated with me despite all that. From the epilogue: "Julia taught me what it takes to find your way in the world. It's not what I thought it was. I thought it was all about--I don't know, confidence or will or luck. Those are all some good things to have, no question. But there's something else, something that these things grow out of. It's joy." I had a tough, exasperating day at work and, reading this at the end of it has me wondering just what amounts to joy in most people's lives. And, given what I wrote not long ago about the importance of calm and peace and satisfaction in one's life rather than just focusing on moments of great joy... It's confusing. Maybe it's just that I find joy in random times and places instead of having a significant, single source of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment