Friday, January 1, 2010

Non-resolutions

I went to a dinner party with friends last night and the question was raised, "What are you going to do next year that you've never done before?" I found that a much better idea than the typical practice of making resolutions year after year. And, let's face it, most people make the same ones repeatedly (lose weight, etc.) But, the idea of choosing a new adventure or activity that you haven't attempted before-that has real promise, in my opinion. The answers around the table were fascinating and provided some real insight into the lives of those there. I love evenings like that. Good conversation, REALLY good food and wonderful friends.

I shared two of my biggest goals with the group: getting to Ireland and saying 'no' more. I think I'm going to start with the very good idea of making one day a week a 'no' day at first and see how that goes. I'll probably start with Saturdays. No work, no standing obligations on that day. Seems like a good beginning to me. There are lots of smaller goals and, actually, I've decided to put off a contender for the top spot for another year, just to give myself time to work on my ability to budget and save. Smaller goals: I'm going to shoot for writing more frequently, incorporating exercise on a regular basis into my weekly routine and I'm still getting my nerve up for the last goal but I did promise several people I'd give it a shot. If it goes well, I'm sure you'll all hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment