Friday, May 15, 2009

Why it may not be advisable for me to have kids after all

Sunday, January 25, 2009

I found a reason last night. And, yes, right now I only have the one reason. Let me wander into a medium length story and see if you all can figure out why. A cookie will be the reward of any who can discern the correct answer!

So, yesterday, I ran errands and enjoyed my apartment. It was a peach of a day despite the cold. That is, until about 9 pm when I went to the kitchen for a snack. I hear this noise that sounds vaguely like Daisy's fighting with something. Usually it's food or her little pink ball. However, when I turned around I see my kitten chewing on her own paws and drawing blood while doing so.

From this point on, I hereby declare temporary insanity.

I grab her and try and get her to stop while simultaneously getting clawed and frantically calling a late night animal hospital. (Yes, they have those.) They said to bring her in so, while continuing to struggle with her, I grab my coat and jump in the car.

So, then, I'm in the car, trying to at least keep an eye on her to make sure she's not devouring her own feet. I have no idea how but I manage to hit the car in front of me. Hard. So hard, in fact, that my glasses and the glasses of the person driving said car flew off our faces. (Side note: Toyota Corollas can take a hit. Honda Civics apparently have bumpers made of plastic and cannot.) At this point, I'm trying to give the guy my insurance info, keep from freezing, help him find his glasses, wonder what exactly hit me in the eye during the crash and somehow make sure Daisy is still okay. We complete all that, I get back in my car and manage to keep from crying while finding the animal hospital and coaxing Daisy from under the front seat.

So, I finally, finally make it to the animal hospital and they see us right away. Turns out, as the vet puts it, that they didn't have a clue what was wrong with her. Couldn't find any wounds on her paws or determine where the blood was coming from. The verdict ended up being that she is teething and must've been in so much pain from it that she was using her claws to pry at the loose tooth, something that no one there had ever seen or heard of a kitten doing. Bottom line: she was fine. I, however, was not so fine.

Car accident+$95 vet bill+near anxiety attack over cat/car wreck=unpleasant conclusions about one's ability to handle parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment